A DISCLAIMER REQUESTED BY THE BUSINESS MANAGER

"The views and opinions in this Blogspot are expressed by me in my capacity as an individual member and not in my capacity as a Union Officer. Likewise, comments by the other members on the Blogspot are individual expressions of their views. The views stated herein are not necessarily a reflection of Local 602. The Local has not seen or adopted my comments or the comments of others prior to posting. The Blogspot includes no expenditures of Union Funds."



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On the Question of Agitation

My recent blog and Facebook posts have been applauded by some and called into question by others. I am embarrassed by both sentiments because they are based on the wish that my views should agree with those of the reader.

My goal over the past several months has been to cause those that would read my posts to consider a subject of controversy, our stalled negotiations, in a critical manner. I hoped to provoke further debate and cause a change in course through dissent and political agitation.

I have stated from the first offer of a 10% paycut to the last offer that the contractors’ proposals were ridiculous. By the use of the word I signaled that their offers were to be the subject of ridicule. I employed words, essays, songs, and political cartoons to make that point over and over again. I am satisfied with my endeavor.

For those that believe that I or any member that posted should have been more restrained I would suggest that you review your American history. Quiet diplomacy rarely has succeeded in causing change in our country.

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning.”
Frederick Douglass (Abolitionist, Lecturer, Author and Slave 1817-1895)

To the contrary, our political and social progress has always been propelled by political essays, editorials, cartoons, satire, song and direct action. Our freedom was not secured, our slaves were not freed, and a myriad of social causes were not achieved through polite political discourse.

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning.” Frederick Douglass (American Abolitionist, Lecturer, Author and Slave 1817-1895)

Both sides moved forward tonight. A tentative agreement was reached and a strike was averted. The members of the Union must still ratify the terms of the agreement. There is still much to be debated.

No comments:

Post a Comment